Friday, January 11, 2008

From Dixie to dancing and wailing

Well guys each day, no each hour, is a new adventure here in the Holy Land. Where to start??
Okay, so every Thursday and Sunday evening the Center has these outreach concerts for the community. Various Middle Eastern performers come and when there are extra seats, they allow students in to watch. And last night I had the privilege of attending the performance of the Isra Dixie Band. Yes indeed, and boy was it fun. I think one of my favorite parts of the night was one of the descriptions of the musicians in the program. The names of the band members were in the program with the instrument they play next to their name. This was my favorite, "Paul Morris-banjo, vocals, surprises." And surprises was right. All the band members were in black suits and ties and so was Paul. But Paul was wearing a Crocodile Dundee hat and he wasn't playing the banjo. He was playing the washboard. So rad! And then throughout the night he'd bring out his "surprises" like a kazoo or a teapot and play them...I'll tell you it was so hilariously awkward, but boy was it choice. They go to the Sacramento Jazz Festival so if you get the chance, see them.
Anyway, this morning we had our first classes. I've decided I can no longer wear make-up to my religion class because Brother Draper practically has me bawling every time he speaks. I love it. And then Near Eastern Studies. Holy Cow this man is so awesome! His name is Brother Seeley and he's the classic history nerd, button-up shirt tucked into jeans, bulky sneakers, coke bottle glasses, slightly cross-eyed and he froths at the mouth when he gets excited. Gorgeous. He is passionate about this stuff and has a great sense of humor, so he definitely keeps it interesting. Great classes so far.
After class we met in our student committees for the first time. I'm on the community service/hosting committee and so I'm going to be giving tours of the Center to visitors. Cool! You will all just have to come out here so I can give you guys a tour.
After lunch we had some free time in which I took a much longer nap than I intended and walked around to see the Center grounds. It's beautiful. You will not believe the views from the grounds of the city when I show you the pictures. Absolutely incredible. It's funny, there's like billions of cats and dogs that roam around the grounds constantly. Today on my walk I saw a tiny little puppy curled up in a little ball sleeping in a spot of sunshine. It made me think of mom...I think you would have liked it.
Okay, so then came the Western Wall. Holy Cow. The cool thing was it wasn't just a trip to the Western Wall, it was a trip to the Western Wall on Friday night, the beginning of Shabbat. Every Friday night the Jews go down to the wall to welcome in the Shabbat. The approach the wall and then bow a billion times in front of it...I still haven't found out what it's for, but I'm going to. The wall is divided into a part for women and a part for men, which was sad because it looked like the men were having a lot more fun. Everyone dances and sings and makes merry. They don't care who you are or if you're Jewish, they'll grab you and pull you in and make you dance and sing. So I danced and sang (well, more just mumbled because I didn't know the words) to welcome in the Sabbath. Gorgeous. I wish we did that. The men can't approach the wall without covering their heads, so all the guys put on cardboard yarmucahs (I really don't know how to spell that). It was so cool. I couldn't believe I was standing there looking at genuine Herodian Stones. The Crusaders tore down the temple and the top part of the wall, but the bottom half was too heavy for the trouble so the wall we see now is the original one from King Herod's rebuilding of the temple. So so cool. I need to expand my vocabulary so I can describe things better...it was beyond cool.
While at the wall I got to talk to a bunch of girls from the Israeli army. They were so nice. I didn't know that Israel required every citizen to serve in the army for two years. Crazy. These girls were in such awe when they found out I was from California. And when they found out I was only 19...they thought I was about 26. Haha. Sweet.
Dinner was delicious tonight. For dessert there were these carrot cake muffins with this tangy glaze to somther on top...mouth-wateringly delicious. And of course, mom, the hummus. I'm hoping if I mention it enough you'll come out here. :)
Conclusion: This place is exploding with diversity in every imaginable arena. There's so much to do and see and everytime we do something new it makes me realize how much more I have to see. I don't think 4 months is long enough. Love you all.

3 comments:

J. said...

Dad and I had lunch at the House of Falafel in Pleasanton today. I'm telling you, you're making me nuts with all your hummus talk. We're reading in front of the fire tonight, but we're near, near to you in our hearts. Keep the great posts coming. (G'ma and G'pa are having trouble accessing your blog. I'll go over there tomorrow and help them out.) Love you to bits!!!!

Mom

pura vida said...

hefs, i've been reading your blogs and i love em. your descriptions are awesome, i almost feel like i can see these things. the center sounds beautiful and the city absolutely incredible. i sure would dig dancing and singing at the wall! what rad experiences you are having. i am so glad you a re making friends with local people and talking to them. that is the best way to get to know another culture. you were born for this, Hevs! keep rockin.'

pura vida said...

p.s.-pura vida=allie